Wednesday, December 8, 2010

GUDPAVTE


Gudpavte Unde is a healthy snack. I didn’t like it much as a small girl. But now I like it.

The size of each ball is the same as that we take to make one plain chapathi. When I mentioned it once when you were little girls, you preferred to eat one UnDe in place of one chapathi arguing that it is all the same. We, elders had a hearty laugh and I tried hard to convice you that these unDes are good as evening snacks or to have between two meals and that you MUST have chapathi with vegetables for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

This unDe can act as an Indian `Energy bar’ which Poorvi keeps mentioning. But this is best preserved in the fridge unlike the energy bars. You can try making this:

Ingredients:
1 cup godhi hittu (atta)
1 or 2 tbspoons of ghee
1/3 cup bella (jaggery)
1/3 cup onakobri thuri
1 tablespoon roasted kari eLLu (gingili seeds)
¼ teaspoon elakki pudi (cardamom powder)
1 table spoon each of godambi pieces and drakshi (cashew and raisins) fried in a teaspoon of ghee.

Procedure:

You can first microwave atta for one or two minutes (to save time and labour) taking care that it doesn’t get burnt. Then fry this in a kadai with a tablespoon of ghee till it is light brown colour and gives good aroma. Then you Transfer this to a bowl.

Fry cashew and raisins in a teaspoon of ghee. Dry roast eLLu. Dry roast grated coconut and powder it by running in a mixer.

Now prepare the jaggery syrup. First put jaggery in a vessel, add enough water to cover it. When the jaggery melts, strain to remove any sand particles. Take the syrup in the kadai and bring it to boil. Add cardamom powder and then add fried atta, coconut powder and mix well till it becomes one whole lump. Remove from fire and add cashew, raisins, eLLu and allow it to cool. When the temperature of the dough is comfortable for you to handle, make small balls and store in a box.
It stays at room temperature for two or three days, but if you want to preserve it, better refrigerate.

One thing about the quantity of jiggery. I don’t like if any item is very sweet. So the sweetness in my preparations is a bit below the standard sweetness. After you make once, you can change the quantity as per your requirement.

You can prepare 10 balls (medium lemon sized) from one cup of atta.


3 comments:

  1. Very interesting I'll surely try this.
    Aunty S and P are lucky to have you.
    You are The Master chef of your kitchen.
    Thanks for sharing and I'll follow your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty this was the first recipe I tried seeing your blog so I will start commenting from here. This just reminds me of my moms godhi unde and I prepare it but never it tastes like the way my mom prepares and I know why? the extra ingriedient in my moms recipe was mother's love and care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember hanging around while ajji made these, and gobbling the fresh warm unde as she laid them out in the plate. She would then put them in a steel dabbi with a dome shaped lid. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete