Thursday, December 23, 2010

HEEREKAI CHUTNEY

Dear S and P,

The other day I brought vegetables from the market and was cleaning them. Papa asked me, "shall I peel heerekai"? I was thrilled by the offer and gladly handed him a peeler. I expected him to just remove the ridges of the gourd. But with in no time, I was aghast to see that the peels were off and almost the seeds were being seen! Half the weight of the heerekai was gone! Don't make your usual comment, `amma, M.A. in exaggeration'! But it was really so. There was no other choice for me but to make chutney out of this nutritious peel. I just could not throw it into my compost bin.

Believe it or not, that day the chutney tasted so good that I decided to ask papa to peel every time I make chutney :). I guess the reason for the good taste. Since the quantity of the peel was much I added very little of grated coconut and so the main stuff must have retained its flavour! That is all. So, do you want to try this? Keep in mind that you have to buy tender gourd so that you get soft peel.

Ingredients:

1 cup heerekai peel(cut into about 1 cm pieces)
1 tablespoon grated coconut
1 table spoon blackgram dal (dehusked)
1/2 teaspoon methi seeds
1 or 2 green chillies
1/4 teaspoon of ingu
6-8 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon tamerind paste
2 teaspoons oil
salt to taste.

Procedure:

Heat one teaspoon oil in a small kadai. Add methi seeds, and immediately after it turns brown, add cut green chilllies. Then add blackgram dal and roast till it is golden brown. Add a pinch of hing and then the peel. Roast on a small flame till the peel looks a bit dry. Add grated coconut and roast for about half a minute and turn off the stove.

Add salt and tamarind paste to the above and run the mixer. Grind to a coarse paste, adding very little water if needed. Finally season with mustard seeds, a little more ingu and curry leaves.

Tastes great with hot rice. Enough for four.






3 comments:

  1. I'm sitting in office looking at this and my mouth is watering. Maadabeku bega!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha for your aakshepane on papa :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunty uncle peeled out unknowingly but really it tastes better.

    ReplyDelete