Wednesday, December 22, 2010

SPONGE CAKE



Posted by Picasa


Here comes the masterpiece of my culinary menu, the Cake! As you know, this is one thing that I prepare, that has won compliments from practically everyone who has tasted it. My cakes have received two universal/unanimous comments: `they never smell of eggs' and `the bakery cakes are very soft, but the softness of your cake is different and more likable'! And This has made me bake thousands of cakes so far. And you very well know, K1 and K2 greet me with `cake' instead of a hug or `Hi mausi' and this has made the aroma of cake coming out from my kitchen whenever there is an indication of them visiting us :) Whenever I visited home, tata never failed to ask, 'I am sure you have brought cake, right?'

This is the very first dish I learnt in the kitchen- even before I learnt to cook the basic  saru or uppittu that are typical in a South Indian family!  When I first attempted baking, in around 1968, the electric ovens were never to be seen in our family/friend circles, since baking was not popular in those days and the ovens were very expensive too. Seeing my interest ajji bought me an aluminum baking utensil that is kept on a sand bath on a gas flame to get light, uniform heat suitable for baking. After watching my successful attempts, she got me an electric oven. Now I use the convection mode of the microwave or an OTG to bake.

And I have been baking since 50 years!!

Many people who have taken the recipe from me or have seen me demonstrate it,  have tried to bake, but have come back saying, `it didnt turn out to be as good as yours'. But actually there is nothing very great about baking. There are a few very simple steps you should follow,that is all.

Firstly, to avoid the  smell of eggs in cakes, it is important to add the essence to the eggs immediately after breaking them, and then beat them. Beat very well so that you get a frothy consistency. At this stage the volume of the beaten eggs is more than four times the original volume.



Secondly it is important that all other ingredients are mixed very well. If you are very keen on baking quality cakes, having an electric hand mixer is a good idea. You can get one for less than Rs.2000, if I am correct.  I give all credit to this mixer, but people give ME the credit which I happily accept ! :) I have let out the secret now. Okay. Now about the ingredients. If the butter and the eggs are refrigerated, thaw them and bring to the room temperature. Hard butter or eggs will not get mixed well.

Of late I have started using fine wheat flour instead of  maida/refined flour.

Now here are the ingredients:

2 eggs
1 cup maida ( or fine wheat flour)
3/4 cup butter
few drops essence (I use pineapple flavour)
2/3 cup sugar (to be powdered)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a few slices of badam or pista for decoration (optional)

Procedure:
Sieve flour with baking powder
Grind sugar to fine powder
Grease baking tray and dust it with flour (the aluminum/hindalium container used to make rice in a pressure cooker will do)

Preheat the oven for about five minutes at 180 degree Celsius.

Now break the eggs into a bowl, add essence and beat immediately till very light.
Continue to run the mixer while adding butter, sugar powder and maida slowly and one after another. Continue beating for 2 more minutes. The batter should have a dropping consistency, may be a bit thinner than the idli batter, I can say. If you feel it is hard, you can add one or two tablespoons of milk and beat.Put this in the baking tray and sprinkle badam, pista or cashew slices/pieces if you want. Bake for about 45 minutes at 180 degree Celcius.  The top of the cake becomes light brown at the end. To confirm whether it is baked fully, insert a knitting needle or a sharp knife in the centre of the cake. It this comes out clean, it means that the cake is done. If some batter sticks to it, bake for 5 or 10 minutes more. Leave the cake in the tray till cool and the invert in a plate and then reverse again.



If you follow all correctly, you are sure to get a wonderful cake. But remember one thing, for anything to become perfect, experience counts. You yourself will know how to improve your cakes.

So, HAPPY BAKING!

8 comments:

  1. YUmmmmyyyy... Un un un un beeeeku. Eeeeeeeegle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is the pan size to use for this recipe( using 2 eggs) ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. About 6"-7" diameter and 2" height will do. Please leave a message about how your cake turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, m planning to make this cake now and will get back to u on how it turned out

      Delete
    2. hi, i jsut tried this cake, i followed the exact recipe, used 2 eggs+vanilla and beat them until frothy . but when i added butter and sugar,and tried beating, the entire mixture appeared curdled. Any idea why it happend like this? also, the batter was very think, i had to add atleast 1/2 cup milk to it. Right now it is in the oven, ill post you on how it turned out. Thanks.

      Delete
    3. An update to this...as i said , i prepared this cake and am pleased to an extent. I made a couple of changes to the recipe as given below:
      1) I followed the recipe exactly( i added 2 tsps of vanilla) till the addition of sugar and butter. This is when the batter appeared curdled. The batter was also extremely thick at this point.
      2) I made a fluid with 1 tbsp of sweetened condensed milk+1/4th cup water+1tbsp water.
      3) I added the flour+baking pwd mixture alternating with the fluid starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
      4) The batter was still a little thick at this point. I went ahead and baked it in a bread loaf pan.
      5) Baked for exactly 30 min at 170 deg celcius( i reduced the temperature as i use a non stick loaf pan). I did not remove the cake after 30 min, but allowed it to stay in the warm oven for another 20 min.

      Verdict:
      1) the cake was extremely moist and melt in the mouth.
      2) Still it lacked something which i am unable to explain. May be i should add more flavour the next time i make it.

      Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

      Delete
  4. Should we use melted butter...and how much is the butter in terms of grams...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete